Hardiness: making stress work for you to achieve your life goals
Also in this Series
More Like This
Table of Contents
From the eBook
1. Stress: What's all the fuss? : Stress: it's unavoidable ; Your body's response to stress ; Hardiness can make a big difference in how you cope with stress ; Introducing the three Cs
2. Commitment: Why pursuing purpose in life matters : What Is the theory behind commitment? ; What we can learn about commitment from prisoners of war ; Surviving post-traumatic stress: hardiness-commitment versus short-term pleasures ; Increasing commitment in your life ; Victor Frankl: purpose, commitment, and meaning ; The role of commitment in success: Jim Carrey ; When commitment leads to calling: the success factor for musicians
3. Building commitment : Take time to think about what is important and interesting to you ; Are you plagued by the work/balance conundrum? ; Increase your skills and competence in an area that is important to you ; Take pride in your past successes and achievements ; Remember the good things in your life, and count your blessings ; Spend time with family, friends, and people you care about ; Pay attention to what's going on in the world around you ; Try out new things
4. The role of hardiness-challenge : A tale of two accountants ; How challenge prepares you for change ; Understanding your mindset ; Expanding the mindset concept beyond abilities ; Why traditional coping methods don't always work ; Examining the "Work of worrying" theory ; Stress mindset versus hardiness-challenge ; How can we change mindsets? ; Physiological differences as a result of your mindset ; Hardiness-challenge and Madonna
5. Building a challenge mindset : Changes are always an opportunity to learn and get better ; Do not live every day by a rigid schedule ; Be willing to change your plans to meet changing conditions ; Whenever you fail at something, ask "What can I learn from this?" ; Try out new things, take reasonable risks ; Imagine future positive outcomes ; Do not dwell on past disappointments: learn, forgive, and look ahead
6. Understanding hardiness-control : Taking control when your body can't / Michael J. Fox ; Managing your internal drives ; Planning an orderly future ; Control: too much or too little ; Can mental health problems be related to control issues? ; Can higher control have benefits at work? ; How control can make you more effective at work ; How can you start to improve your control?
7. Getting yourself more in control : Focus your time and energy on things you can control or influence ; Work on tasks that are within your capabilities, moderately difficult but not overwhelming ; For difficult jobs, break them up into manageable pieces so you can see the progress ; Plan ahead and gather up the right tools and resources for the task ; Ask for help when you need it ; Recognize your successes ; When you just cannot solve a problem, turn your attention to other things you can control
8. How hardiness works to protect health and performance : The hardy stress response: appraising the situation ; The hardy stress response: reacting to stress ; Positively adapting to stress ; Stress and the heart: the role of hardiness ; Stress and the immune system ; Putting hardiness to work for you
9. Hardiness at work : Driving a bus is no walk in the park ; Does hardiness influence your career choice? ; Hardiness scores of healthcare professionals ; What do we know about hardiness and work satisfaction? ; Challenges versus hindrances at work ; Practicing hardiness in the legal profession ; Putting your hardiness to work
10. What we can learn from hardiness in high-stakes performance careers : Playing out hardiness as a musical director ; Secrets of long-term success as an entertainer ; Looking at hardiness in young performing musicians ; Hardiness in sports ; Winning the US tennis open ; What you can learn from increasing hardiness ; Levels in competitive swimmers
11. The role of hardiness in first responders : Hardiness and policing ; One way that firefighters cope with stress ; Hardiness and homicide police investigator Mark Mendelson ; Can hardiness help in the selection of police officers? ; Some things we can learn from first responders
12. The hardy leader : World's 50 greatest leaders ; Coaching hardiness ; Coaching techniques to build hardiness
13. Hardiness at the US Military Academy: West Point : Welcome to West Point ; Becoming leaders ; Women at West Point ; Who drops out? Hardiness and the ability to persist ; Portrait of a hardy cadet ; Beyond West Point ; Making yourself a hardy leader
14. Hardiness and your health : Hardiness and heart disease ; Hardiness and diabetes ; Hardiness and the immune system ; Hardiness and cancer ; Hardiness and arthritis ; Health, hardiness, and social support ; Hardiness and sleep ; Hardiness and health habits ; Using the three Cs of hardiness to stay healthy
15. Moving from life stress to life success : From tragic loss to uplifting the lives of others ; Transcending one's circumstances ; From tragedy to the world stage ; New life in a new country: struggles and achievements ; Physical fitness, hardiness, and the stress of a child's life-threatening illness ; Conclusion.
Loading Author Notes...
Reviews from GoodReads
Loading GoodReads Reviews.
Loading Staff View.